ABOUT KIWANIS MALAYSIA
The first club in Malaysia was formed on 11 April 197D through the pioneering initiative of the late Tan Sri Mohd Khir Johari, and hence he is fondly known as “Bapa Kiwanis” (Father of Kiwanis). Tan Sri Khir Johari was the Charter President of the Kiwanis Club of Kuala Lumpur.
Kiwanis Malaysia achieved its District-in-Formation status in October, 2000 and subsequently was officially conferred District status on February 1st, 2003.
As at 30 Sep 201F, the Malaysia District recorded 1,312 members & 55 clubs. This represents a membership growth of 10J compared against 30 Sep 2017. This significant growth was riding on the back of 10 new clubs opened during the year; a record high since Malaysia was conferred the District Status.
Malaysia District is very active with Service Leadership Program (SLP). As at 30 Sep 201F, the District has more than 750 SLP members and 31 Youth Clubs, represented as follows;
Youth Camps are designed to inspire young people to achieve their personal best through service leadership. The main objectives are to develop awareness and competencies of participants in terms of personal integrity, growth, respect, building relationships to achieve positive goals, expecting and achieving the best. Every year, at least 3 Kiwanis Clubs will organise a youth camp each one of which will be a Key Leader Camp.
In addition there more than 17 permanent projects representing centres for children, mainly special needs children, which are established and managed by Kiwanis clubs. These are:
- Kiwanis Johor Hope Garden (Kiwanis Club of Johor Jaya)
- Kiwanis Children Centre (Kiwanis Club of Kuantan)
- Kiwanis Care Heart (Kiwanis Club of Sentosa)
- Kiwanis Circle Love Special Education (Kiwanis Club of Metro Johor Bahru)
- Kiwanis Centre for Special Children (Kiwanis Club of Kluang)
- Day Care Centre for Special Children (Kiwanis Club of Muar)
- Yong Peng Centre for Special Children (Kiwanis Club of Yong Peng)
- Kiwanis Special Children Centre (Kiwanis Club of Batu Pahat)
- Day Care Centre – For Special Children (Kiwanis Club of Kluang Mandarin)
- Kiwanis Stroke & Neurological Rehabilitation Centre (Kiwanis Club of Bangsar)
- Kiwanis Job Training Centre (Kiwanis Club of Metro Kuala Lumpur)
- Ipoh Down Syndrome Centre (Kiwanis Club of Bandaraya Ipoh)
- Kiwanis Down Syndrome Foundation – National Centre (Kiwanis Club of Kuala Lumpur)
- Kiwanis Down Syndrome Foundation – Klang Centre (Kiwanis Club of Klang)
- Kiwanis Down Syndrome Foundation – Johor Bahru Centre (Kiwanis Club of Johor Bahru)
- Kiwanis Down Syndrome Foundation – Kulai Centre (Kiwanis Club of Kulai)
- Kiwanis Down Syndrome Foundation – Melaka Centre (Kiwanis Club of Melaka)
Other centres financially supported by Kiwanis clubs are:-
- Dyslexia Centre (Kiwanis Club of Taman Tun Dr. Ismail)
- Gold Centre (Kiwanis Club of Bandar Sunway)
- PJ Autism Intervention Centre (Kiwanis Club of Petaling Jaya)
- MSO School for Refugees (Kiwanis Club of Damansara)
Kiwanis Malaysia, in collaboration with MBO (a large chain of cinemas in 27 locations) organised the largest simultaneous participation of underprivileged children in a single movie screening on annually basis. In 201F we organised the 2nd annual Mega Movie Treat with about 3,000 children nationwide.
The District Team
JOIN THE KIWANIS MALAYSIA MAILING LIST